If your best friend says, “Show me your birth certificate. I don’t know what they look like, and I’ve got to have mine to get our marriage license. I don’t know what I’m looking for.”
Hospitals may give parents a copy of their “child’s birth certificate,” but these are considered informational or keepsake copies. This is not the “official” form of identification that you are being asked to provide. The certified copy of your birth certificate is issued by the state where you were born and bears a raised seal or embossed seal.
A North Carolina birth certificate is a government issued and certified form of ID that can be used for almost identification purpose.
When do you need a North Carolina birth certificate?
- Register for school. Parents need to present their child’s certified birth certificate to register them for school.
- Driver’s license. Most states require a certified copy of your birth certificate to get your driver’s license, and some states require a copy to renew your driver’s license.
- Marriage license. Almost all states require a copy of your birth certificate to obtain a marriage license.
- Passport. You must present a certified copy of your birth certificate to apply for a passport.
- Cruises. Although it is recommended that you travel with a passport on all cruises, there are times when a certified birth certificate will be sufficient. If you are a U.S. citizen and the cruise departs and returns to the same U.S. port, a passenger can use a government issued picture ID (driver’s license) and a certified copy of their birth certificate.
- Social Security card. If you lose your Social Security card or you remarry, you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate as well as a government-issued ID.
- Enroll in the military. Be sure to take a certified copy of your birth certificate with you when you enlist in any of the U.S. armed forces.
- Sign up for sports and field trips. Schools are getting stricter about proof of age before signing up for sports and/or going on field trips.
- New job. I-9 identification requirements provide that one of your three required forms of identification may be a certified copy of your birth certificate.
- TSA (Transportation Security Administration) PreCheck program. Many frequent fliers enroll in the TSA Precheck program to eliminate the need to remove your shoes, laptops, liquids, belts or light jackets.
If you need a North Carolina birth certificate, you can order your birth certificate online. Choose the delivery option you need-immediate, expedited or standard. Email and text options allow you to immediately supply Fast Birth Certificates your identification, signature and date.